What a year, huh? I have gone back and forth on what to do about Art Classes this fall/winter, and I decided to do it all! I will be offering IN-PERSON CLASSES as well as MAKE AT HOME CLASSES. And you can switch at anytime! Trying to keep things flexible here!
Here is the rundown on how each will work. And YOU PICK!
-Meet once a week from Sept to April.
-Classses will begin the week of Sept. 14th
-You pay in 6-class-increments so I can order supplies in advance.
-You can start and stop at anytime. (for example when basketball begins you may want to stop classes at that point, or if you are involved in a fall sport you may want to begin later in the year) But it will depend on availability.
-You DO NOT PAY FOR MISSED CLASSES. I keep a card for each child and keep track of when they attend. When they have attended 5 of the paid classes I will email you to either pay for another 6 classes or opt out after the 6th paid class. Think of it as a punch card.
-Projects overlap. What that means is that we don’t do one project per class. Some projects need to dry, to be fired, to have several layers, ect. So I overlap the projects so we may work with clay for part of the class and then start a painting at the end of class. This means that I cannot guarantee that we won’t be in the middle of a project if you opt out after 6 classes.
-Social distancing is essentially impossible in the space we have to work. But class sizes will be kept to no more than 10.
-Masks will be optional, but that is subject to change. (I have a lung condition that makes breathing difficult while wearing a mask, so I don’t feel like I can force the kids to wear them)
-Supplies will be shared to a certain extent…Everything will be cleaned, sanitized, ect at the end of each day and fresh supplies will be used for each new class.
-All supplies will be included in the cost of the classes.
-You can view the available classes here. But I am absolutely willing to add more classes! I need at least 5 students to make the class worthwhile, if you have a group of 5 or more we can chat and schedule a class that works for you!
-These projects are a GREAT way to have your child experience art at home from a certified art teacher at a decent cost. Instead of buying 12 bottles of paint and wasting all the extra, for example, you will only pay for the small amount needed for the project you order.
-These MakeAtHome classes can be picked up anytime after September 14th and available until April. After you order it takes a week to get ready.
-These classes are listed as “Projects” individually on the website. You can purchase them one at a time or in a bundle.
-Each project comes with all the tools and supplies you need AND its own How-To video.
-The videos are easy to follow and can be stopped and started so you can work along.
-The kits include all the “extras” the students would get in class like supplemental coloring sheets, info on artists, and other resources.
-The projects we do in class will be added to the list of projects available to do at home as well as the 40 projects from the summer.
-You child can choose from painting, sculpture, ceramic clay, printmaking, glass, ect. Something for everyone.
-Some projects will need to be brought back to be fired or finishing touches added.
-I will be available to help anytime via zoom, text, face time.
-All projects are sanitized and packaged carefully.
-If you bundle them and spend $100 or more you will receive a 15% discount on the bundle.
I know, I know, we NEED our kids to get back out into the world. WE need to get back into the world. But, after sending out a survey, there just are not enough families ready to send their kids back to in-person camps this summer. BUT I HAVE A PLAN!!!
Please listen to my plan before making your decision about your child’s summer camp. And after seeing the projects I have to offer. I hope you will have a positive perspective on at home camp!
I will be offering “Art-Camp-Kits”…… before you click delete let me tell you how I am planning to address the many concerns expressed in the survey: (All Projects come with a video geared specifically for kids. Parents DO NOT have to get involved in any way! As long as your child knows how to work the computer, press start and pause they will be able to work right along with me! I even tell them how to set up and clean up!!)
- Cost– part of why you pay what you do is for the “experience”. I get that, and I mourn the loss of that in-person experience. I have not come up with the exact numbers as of yet, but I am going to try to give you what you pay for! I will be offering more projects-for-the-price. For example, in art camp we are able to complete about 4 projects in 4 days. We work a little bit each day on each project to allow for drying time ect. But in the Art-Camp-Kits, to make up for the loss of in-person time I am adding more projects, draw-alongs, worksheets, coloring pages, ect. And if you aren’t interested in the whole camp, I will be offering project-kits individually. But you will get the most “bang-for-your-buck” with the whole camp. I will be working to keep the cost per project as low as possible by “loaning” my reusable tools. You will get a refund when the tools are returned.
- “I can’t or just don’t want to try to teach my child art, I don’t know how, ect”– No worries! Every project will come with a video tutorial. My goal is to have ME still be the teacher and all you have to do is make sure your child knows how to press the start and pause buttons. They will be able to work along-side me by pausing the video to work and starting to get the next step.
- In-Person Experience– I will be offering Face Time one-on-one time if your child would be interested in that. But I want to keep the “camps” flexible for families. You will be able to sign up and reserve a time for your child to talk with me, to show me their progress, to ask for help, ect. If you have more than one child in the “camp” we can zoom. I want to be able to offer the individual attention I give when the kids are here.
- Friends– I know that many of you signed your children up with their friends. My thoughts are that maybe those friends can still get together to create and we can zoom by appointment.
- Family– Also, many of you have registered multiple siblings to age appropriate camps. I am planning projects with a “youngest age recommended” tag. For example I have a giraffe painting planned. I will be supplying video directions for every project, and I will show you how your 5 year old and your 14 year old can work side by side on the same project but with different goals. I can make even the easiest concept more challenging.
- Projects– right now I have over 20 projects I want to offer.
- Choosing your camp– You will have a choice as to how you want to order your camp. You will be able to order project by project. Or you can order the age appropriate camp that I set up. Typically I try to introduce as many different mediums as I can during camp with my hope being a child tried something new and has yet another way to create. But I realize that as a parent you may not want to tackle trying to get them to try something different. So I will offer to make up the “kit” for you as I would teach it, with lots of different mediums….or you will be able to pick and choose which projects you want to have in your kit. Because supplies for some projects are way more expensive than others, I will assign a point system to each project. So if you want all clay projects, which are more expensive, you may only be able to chose 4 lets say…..but if you wanted painting , well they would be cheaper, so you may be able to order 6 or 7. Depending on if its offered on canvas or paper. But all the kits will include the “extras” I plan to throw in.
- And get this…. If you buy one camp this summer, and you want more…all the rest of the kits you order will be at the camp price! (which is about a 20-25% discount)
So please check back here soon to see even more information on ART CAMP FROM, not at, STUDIO VIRTU!
So, for today I have another coloring page for you. I was planning on sharing a post with more content, but ….. Apparently one must have one’s photo’s organized enough to be able to find them. So, it looks like tomorrow I will help you set up a kid AND adult friendly home studio. And I will give you all my best studio hacks to make art with kids easier and more organized!
Stay tuned because next week I’ll be sharing some art projects FOR BOTH ADULTS AND KIDS!!!! For now, “Llama go make some art!” You go make some too!!!!
(Scroll to the bottom to see the Coloring Page)
I hope this finds you healthy, at home, and cuddled up with those you love…..or a glass of wine, whatever you need! I am actually at the studio in my pajamas pondering the eternal question, “Is there a proper time of day to change from day pajamas to night pajamas?” For me it seems that I change once I have paint all over whatever I am wearing. Anyway, I am missing my student artists SOOO much right now. And I can’t help but wonder what is going through those creative minds about all that is going on right now. As for me, I am focusing on the time I have to paint, draw, and organize. Yep, that’s right, I love to organize at home. You would never know this by the sight of the studio though. And throughout each day I can’t help but be filled with hope. I believe from the bottom of my soul that God has a master plan for our best selves. So I know that at the end of all this we will be better people. I do miss all those little faces though! I find that if I begin to feel stressed all I have to do is ART!! I paint, I draw, I color, I make clay “stuff”. I am lucky because I have all the supplies I need both at my home studio and at Studio Virtu. But not every home is decorated in “Total Art Mess” like mine. So I want to offer some relief if you need it. Here is what I “plan” to do. (I mean everything changes day-to-day, right)
- I plan to post, here, various Art Activities that you or/and your kids can do from home. I’m hoping to make these activities kid-abled, meaning they can do them on their own. Sometimes it will be a free coloring page (like today), or an acivity/project, a tip or shortcut, or a list of You Tube channels or websites appropriate for kiddos, but still interesting for all ages.
- I am hoping to put together some “art-kits” and supplies that you can pick up curbside so you have the means to do these projects. (and tempera paint doesn’t last forever, so we might as well use it up). And there MAY be a small fee for the supplies as I have to try to stay in business, ugh. More info on this to come.
- I will make some supplies available to “rent”. Which means you can leave a down payment which you will get back when the supplies/tools are returned.
Please be patient with me as I am just now learning how to make videos, thanks to Lauren O!!! Posts may remain in all photos if I can’t get the hang of it; or I just plain hate the way my voice sounds, which is a very real possibility! My goal is to post three times a week. But I do admit to being easily distracted by an empty canvas, unused clay, an unpainted wall, garbage can, rug, floor, table, chair….you get it. So I will do my best just like you are doing in these crazy times!
For today, DON’T BE A SLOTH, MAKE ART! And enjoy this free downloadable coloring page! Talk to you soon!
Or Click on the specific camp you want:
(Click on the time of the camp you want)
June 8-11 (week 1, pink week):
9:30-11:30am…… Grades 1-3
12:00-2:00pm…… Grades 4-6
June 15-18 (week2, red week):
9:30-11:30am……Ages 4 and 5 years old
12:00-2:00pm…… Grades 1-3
June 22-25 (week 3, orange week):
9:30-11:30am…… Grades 4-6
12:00-2:00pm…… Grades 7-12
June 29-July 2 (week 4, yellow week):
9:30-11:30am….. .Grades 1-3
12:00-2:00pm…… Grades 4-6
July 6-9 (week 5, green week):
July 13-16 (week 6, turquoise week):
9:30-11:30am…… Ages 4 and 5 years old
12:00-2:00pm…… Grades 7-12
July 20-23 (week 7, blue week):
July 27-30 (week 8, purple week):
For answers to some common questions go to the summer camps page
Registration Begins Thursday, Feb. 20 at 9am….Questions? Click the camps/classes tab above. For your convenience here is the schedule:
Registration is now open for Weekly Ongoing Fall and Winter Art Classes! This is the way to get the most art instruction for your money. We will be painting, sculpting, printmaking, working with glass and ceramic clay and the list goes on! Don’t have time for art classes right away? No problem, registration is ongoing. For more information click the link above for Classes and Workshops!
Workshops will also be offered this year. These are for those who cannot commit to a weekly class. More information and registration for the workshops will be coming soon, so check back!
I know I said April 1st I would post classes, workshops and registration for this summer…. But apparently the computer demons have other ideas. Please check back on Friday! I am crazy frustrated with trying to get all the technology working to accept registration. (as of last night things were working….today they are not! ARGHHHHHH!!!!)
Please remember, THINGS ARE DIFFERENT THIS SUMMER….
I will be adding workshops throughout the summer. If there is a workshop your child is interested in and it fills up I will simply add another date for that workshop! So you won’t have to compete to “get in”.
I am so sorry to be breaking my word on when registration begins. I appreciate your patience more than you can imagine!!!!!